Did anyone else used to go to the mall just to get a pretzel?! It was my absolute favorite part. My mom would get Sweet Almond and I loved the Cinnamon Sugar! Here’s a veganized version that just might save you a trip to the mall.
These Homemade Auntie Anne’s Cinnamon Pretzel Bites are perfect for dessert or a sweet snack. Perfectly crisp on the outside but nice and fluffy on the inside!
View this post on Instagram
Homemade Auntie Anne’s Cinnamon Pretzel Bites (Vegan)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
Bite-sized fluffy nuggets of soft pretzel are baked golden-brown, dipped in liquid gold and rolled in cinnamon sugar, and served with a sweet icing. Fun, quick and easy to make!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (any dairy-free milk works!)
- 1/2 cups melted vegan butter (to coat before sugar)
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (any dairy-free milk works here too!)
To make the dough:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and then salt. Combine until fully mixed. Next, add in milk.
- Knead on a floured surface for about 4 to 6 minutes, or until dough is smooth and slightly elastic in texture. Let rest in a bowl for 30 minutes.
Assemble the dough:
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a roughly 16-inch rope.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut each dough rope into roughly 1-inch pieces. Arrange the pieces on the lined baking sheets and brush with egg.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the pretzel bites from the oven, and allow to cool.
Make the cinnamon sugar:
- While the pretzel bites are baking, mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Brush the cooled pretzel bites with melted butter, and use a spoon to roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture until coated.
Make the icing:
- Mix powdered sugar and milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Mixture will thicken as you mix.